– Bananas – Mother Nature’s perfect snack. No preparation, no washing or refrigeration. They are prepackaged in a biodegradable wrapper for perfect enjoyment. Since they are easily digestible, they are often served as babies’ first food. Women suffering from PMS can get a healthy serotonin rush by consuming a banana. Bananas help build a shield against heart disease. They are packed with potassium that helps fend off high blood pressure. In short, the goodness of bananas battles cancer, heart diseases, high blood pressure, kidney stones, premenstrual syndrome and strokes.
– Barley – Barley with all its magic ingredients is good for heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Beta-glucan fiber lowers cholesterol, while tocotrienol deactivates an enzyme that tells the liver how to produce artery clogging cholesterol. Barley is a quick fix for constipation. Just 1 cup of cooked barley can provides approx 14 gms of fiber to get the bowels moving.
– Basil – Originally a cooking herb, Basil has found many uses as a medicinal herb too. Basil weakens the ulcer producing activity of aspirin and alcohol, fight inflammation and swelling and battle infection causing bacteria. It also prevents colon cancer and helps build strong bones. Basil helps reduce bloating and flatulence. If you overindulged with alcohol, drink tea by steeping 2 tbsp of chopped fresh or dried basil leaves mixed in 1 cup of just boiling water for about 15 minutes. Strain and sip and feel the difference.
– Beans – These luscious legumes are loaded with fiber and other nutrients to keep body running in top shape. Beans fights cancer and cholesterol. B vitamin folate reduces blood levels of amino acid involved in heart disease. People having type 2 diabetes benefit from the soluble fiber present in the beans. It slows down the passage of carbohydrates from foods into the bloodstream. Beans fight the battle of bulge as they control your appetite by taking up lots of room in your tummy. If you keep forgetting things, people, etc, boost your brainpower by eating a serving of beans few times are week.
– Beef – Are you surprised to know that beef can help to fight common health problems? Loaded with disease fighting nutrients, beef if you buy lean gives no complaints. Lean beef lowers level of bad density lipoprotein and improves levels of high density lipoprotein cholesterol. Beef supplies vitamins and minerals that maybe in short supply in a diet. Selenium in beef is a powerful antioxidant that lowers the risk of skin cancer, fights heart disease and wards off infections.
– Beet – Heart shaped veggies, 1 cup of fresh beets gives 1/3 of daily folate requirement. In short vitamin B that keeps homocysteine in control so that it does not trigger a heart attack. Beta – cyanin, a phytochemical that gives deep red colour is a cancer fighter. Beet juice curbs normal healthy cells from changing into cancer cells. Beets are good source of fiber for good bowel function. Beet battles cancer, diabetic and heart disease.
– Bell Peppers – Ring in health benefits with bell peppers. A red bell pepper packs in twice as much vitamin C than an orange. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant eating up free radicals that cause cell damage leading to heart disease and cancer. Vitamin C also bolsters your immune system helping to lessen the severity and duration of a cold. Lutein and zeaxanthin – two plant compounds in red bell peppers prevent age related macular degeneration (ARMD) that is responsible for sharp vision. ARMD is common cause of irreversible blindness in people. Ophthalmologists recommend intake of these compounds from foods rather than medicine or supplements.
– Blackberries – Blackberry is packed with catechin and epicatechin. These two compounds neutralize free radicals that damage cell’s genetic material and provoke cancer. Catechins help to lower cholesterol levels which in turn reduces the risk of heart disease. The quercetin in blackberries attacks production of free radicals and help in preventing bad cholesterol from causing damage to blood vessels. Another benefit of quercetin is that it halts the production of substance called histamine that makes allergy sufferers sneeze and wheeze. Fibers in blackberries prevent constipation and colon cancer. Blackberries if refrigerated immediately will have shelf (fridge) life of two or three days before starting to spoil.
– Blueberries – The compounds in blueberries protect you again cancer, heart disease, urinary tract infections and even wrinkles. Blueberries help reverse short term memory loss. Quick fixes for stomachache – reach out for few tablespoons of dried blueberries and get rid of the tummy ache. Avoid fresh or frozen berries to aggravate the tummy trouble. Tannins in blueberries kick out those bacteria’s responsible for urinary tract infections. Tannins prevent the germs from attaching to your bladder.
– Bok Choy – Popular known as Chinese celery , Bok Choy is about the same size as the normal celery stalks with start white ribs and deep green flat, ruffled leaves. Loaded with calcium, manganese and iron, it is good for bones and blood. Vitamin C in Bok Choy will help heal your wounds from paper cuts and hang nails to surgical incisions. Packed with potassium, Bok Choy helps to lower blood pressure. Simply speaking, Bok Choy battles cancer and high blood pressure and bolsters bones and wound healing.
– Broccoli – Broccoli is a fighter against cancer and other major health problems. Broccoli comprises of vitamin A, C, K, fiber and compounds like Lutein and sulforaphane. It prevents prostate problems, cancer of the bladder and colon cancer. Broccoli also tackles health problems like heart disease, hip fracture and cataracts.
– Brown Rice – Brown rice lowers the risk of developing heart disease. It prevents the danger of diabetes. Recent studies show eating two servings of whole grain daily reduces the risk of dying from heart attack by 30%.
– Brussels Sprouts – They offer plenty of protection against big time diseases like cancer, birth defects, osteoporosis and heart trouble. Brussels sprouts protect your DNA from cancer causing substances. Cancer fighting enzymes prevent colon cancer. More than men, women are hounded with osteoporosis. Brussels sprouts supplies vitamin K that protect against osteoporosis.